The original Bluenose was launched as a Grand Banks fishing and racing schooner in 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. It was designed by William Roué and built by the Smith and Rhuland Shipyard. Captain Angus Walters was the original captain. During the next 17 years, no challenger (American or Canadian) — could gain the trophy from Bluenose. She earned the title “Queen of the North Atlantic”.
The Bluenose has been on the Canadian dime since 1937 and three postage stamps, as well as the Nova Scotia license plate.
THE BLUENOSE II
Bluenose struck a reef off Isle aux Vache, Haiti on 28 January 1946.
In 1963, Bluenose II was launched. It was built by many of the same people who had worked on the original vessel at the same shipyard in Lunenburg. The project was financed by Oland Brewery to advertise their products, while also promoting Nova Scotia’s maritime heritage and tourism.
Bluenose II was gifted to the Government of Nova Scotia in 1971.
THE BLUENOSE II Relaunch
After more than 25 months of reconstruction, Bluenose II was relaunched in Lunenburg Harbor in 2012 however following these festivities, the vessel was pulled back for more repairs.
The final renovations were completed during the summer of 2016 and now the Bluenose II is operated by the Lunenburg Marine Society on behalf of the Province of Nova Scotia.