Evolved in the Mahone Bay area the double-ended Whaler was first built in the 1860s to 1870s at Lunenburg on the mainland for the inshore fishery . Early boats, 24 to 28 feet, were lapstrake with keel and schooner rig. Requirements for Tancook Island boats were severe with no natural harbour to shelter in around the island, heavy offshore weather to sail and prolonged summer calms requiring rowing to reach the fishing grounds. Speed and capacity requirements drove the design to its final form around 1900 in lengths to 50 feet, caravel planked and with boiler plate centerboards. The design developed into one of the most handsome double-enders with graceful shear and renowned sailing qualities.